Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 13: Coxswain

Today I came down to practice today to help out with the Learn to Row class that was going on. We had 6 rowers show up, so we decided to take out at 8 with seats 3 and 4 empty. That left someone to cox the boat and someone to coach/drive the launch. I volunteered to cox, as I have been here in Little Rock for about a month and have not filled that position in the boat yet. I think I have coxed once before in my life. And that was like 6 (or more) years ago. Anyways lets just say it was an experience for everyone. First of all coxswains are ment to be small skinny girls that can easily fit into a narrow seat which is usually at the stern (or back) of the boat. I was not born to fit in a coxswains seat. haha But it surely was an experience.
We did a lot of drill work and got some really nice strokes in (despite my terrible steering). It took me about 1/2 of practice to figure out the steering, and coaching, and switching pairs in and out all at the same time. It was definitely difficult. Anyone out there who coxs, you have my full respect. Thank you to all of the rowers who came out today for putting up with me today!
It was a fun, different experience, that I would not mind trying again (just not on a regular basis) haha. After practice I did my 200 for the day. They really are getting better. Today about the last 50 were tough. But before that, it was smooth sailing. haha I finished them up and went out to dinner, where I tried shrimp and grits. I love shrimp, and I love grits. Where is bad? No where in sight, thats where. So delicious! Anyone who has a chance to go to the Faded Rose, should try it out. Pretty darn good!

Shout out to my newest donor!! I will be out at the ranch tomorrow through Sunday, but no worries I will still be posting! 2600 down, 12400 to go!! :D Thanks all!

No comments:

Post a Comment