Sunday, October 17, 2010

The book

Ok so I am going to try to keep this post brief, but as I had such a cool and interesting weekend, I am not sure I will be able to do that. So my Uncle Paul came into town this past Thursday. I had a great time this weekend showing him all around Little Rock and introducing him to all of my new friends. On Friday he came to visit me at work and we had lunch in the cafe, followed by a tour of the Heifer campus. Which is always informative. Friday evening we had a lovely dinner at a restaurant just outside of down town called Cajuns. It was delicious and it overlooks the river where I saw some of my rower friends out for a row. :)

Saturday started bright and early with the Suzan G Komen Race for the Cure. ABC decided we wanted to send out a boat to row in between the two bridges that the race goes between in support of all of the women walking. We have a boat that was painted pink for just this occasion last year. Last year there were an estimated 40,000 women that walked in the SGK race, I have not heard any stats yet for this years race, but it seemed to be another good turn out. After we got off the water, the lovely people at the boathouse supplied brunch for the rowers and kayakers that were supporting the race for the cure. Post brunch, Uncle Paul and I headed into downtown to pick up my first organic (and local) order from the Little Rock Food Club. Not only did I order milk, but I also got some fruits and veggies, yogurt and chicken. I am very excited! I have, thus far, tried the milk, apples and yogurt and have been impressed by it all. (Although I will say I think I mistakenly got 2% milk instead of skim, but no harm no foul. I'll just have to do some extra jumpees this week...) haha Also on Saturday I went to one of my friend's husband's rugby game. I have never seen a rugby game before, and let me tell you, it was quite an experience.

Saturday evening I went to a Heifer sponsored dinner called the 100 Mile Meal. The premise of the meal was that everything that was served came from with in 100 miles of Little Rock.  And I have to say not only was everything delicious, there was some great discussion from a panel of experts on eating locally and sustainable. The evening did not disappoint. And then I conked out early as I had a very busy day.

This morning, Uncle Paul and I were invited to another brunch with some friends. The food was delicious and I was really pleased that my uncle was able to meet so many of the people that have become a part of my life here in Little Rock. After the brunch, we had a couple of hours to kill before I dropped Uncle Paul off at the airport, so we decided to make a quick trip to the Little Rock zoo. Normally I love zoos, but this zoo was a tad depressing. Apparently it is really lacking in funding, but regardless, the animals just looked sad in their small habitats. :( But it was nice to be spending the time with my uncle.

I would also just like to take a moment to remember my friend Laura Lynam who passed away 6 years ago today. She was such a vibrant spirit and she is still greatly missed my many.


Thank you all for the support you have shown me.
7400 done! (Almost half way!!) 7600 to go! I am almost over the hump!

No comments:

Post a Comment