Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pupusas!

So it has been almost a week since I have been here in El Salv. I have moved in with a host family in a small village type area called Molinaros, just outside of San Vicente. My family is awesome and huge. There are the two parents and 4 of their 6 grown children live with them, which is compleatly normal here, and then 2 grand children. And on our area of land there are almost all of thier relatives in other houses. Needless to say there is always someone around. Also  there is so much noise here at night, they keep saying you get used to it, but we will see. I think the church bells ringing at 3am every Thursday morning are likely to wake me up every week. And I am not sure I will ever get used to the roosters crowing all night long. Will some one please tell them that they need to wait until the sun is atleast up? Thanks.

So far I have liked almost every food my host mother has put in front of me. Pupusas are a staple here as are rice and beans and tortillas, and I love it all. But I can already tell that I cannot make it a long term habit or I will come home muy gordita. Running is not common here, especially for girls, so I am investigating other forms of excersize, such as hiking.

It is hard to believe that a week has gone by so quickly. I have a feeling all of training will do the same. Most of my days consist of 8hr Spanish lessons and charlas (classes) on staying healthy, keeping safe, and preping us for our perminante site. My Spanish is improving daily but I am still having trouble communicating everything. Sink or swim though. I will try to post some pictures soon! Hope everyone is well. :)

El Salv Fact- Instead of Mr. and Ms/Mrs. men and women are called Don and Niña

No comments:

Post a Comment