Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Giant Chihuahua or Miniature Doberman?

It has been four months since Bella came into my life. We are still getting along swimmingly. She has gotten so adorable! She is now all vaccinated up and loving life.

This was right after she came to live with me.
This was a couple of weeks ago, she has grown so much!
In my biggest Bella news, I just got  her fixed. She she has been such a trooper. There is a vet in my pueblo, so the plan was to get her fixed there. I made the appointment a couple of weeks before hand, but the day before her surgery I stopped by just to make sure everything was kosher for the next day. As it turns out they had run out of anesthesia... What kind of vet's office runs out of anesthesia you ask? The kind you do not want to be taking your dog to, that's what kind. Unfortunately I was having a freak out at this time about Bella getting pregnant because I think she is around the right age to get her first heat. I do not really wish to deal with puppies or with dogs in heat. So I called my good friend Neri and he found a recommendation for a good vet in the city of Santa Ana. 
Everything worked out great until I got her home from the surgery. The vet's office had not given me a cone to put around Bella's neck. So the morning after I brought her home, I noticed that one of her stitches had been pulled out. By that afternoon another one was missing. That is when my freak out started. I called my Dad who was super great and tried to coach me through some 9th grade geometry on how to make my own cone from an old cardboard box I had in the house. I failed. Totally my fault, geometry never was my thing. I should also mention that it was especially hot and humid that day and we had not had water running in about a week. I could not go into town to see if the vet there had a cone because I could not leave Bella alone for fear she would pull more stitches out. I could not bathe and cool off because there was no water. I could not control anything. It was after the failed cone attempt that the crying started. 
Poor Bella with a cone.
Not knowing what else to do, I called Neri and immediately broke down into tears again. I think that freaked him out as I am pretty sure crying girls do not call him very often. Also even if they do, I would bet that it is almost never about their dog. Any who, Neri saved the day again and brought me a cone from the vet's office. Bella was hesitant about the cone at first, but after a couple of days she became quite attached. She even growled at me when I tried to clean it. 

She looks like a vacuum when she eats with her cone on
All of her stitches are now out and she is healing quite nicely. I do not know how she is going to adapt to living outside again though. She has been quite spoiled with sleeping on the bed since her surgery. And yes I did wrap her in an ace bandage held together with barrettes, thank you for asking!
Spoiled pup!




No comments:

Post a Comment