Saturday, January 21, 2012

One Ring To Rule Them All, Or Something

Peace Corps El Salvador is undergoing some serious changes. The big bosses in Washington have decided that for the amount of security incidences involving volunteers that have been occurring in the Northern Triangle countries (El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala), we need a safety and security revamp. Among the changes we know about in El Salvador so far are a ban from the capital, travel restriction (temporary for now, but possibly permanent?) and possible ban from public transportation all together. These are big changes for us as a large part of our service is based on travel. Also PC Wash is sending the two groups ahead of me home early. They are trying to get the number of volunteers down to a more manageable number for the types of changes they want to put in place. Peace Corps has also decided to offer an interrupted service option for those who wish to take it. Basically if we feel unsafe or the changes being made are too drastic, PC is giving us an out.

As of now, I have decided to stay. I have big plans for my second year in my community and I just got voted president of the Gender and Development committee. School starts back up next week. There is only one teacher for all six grades that attend the school in my community. Not many kids go to the school, maybe 15 in the morning and 15 in the afternoon, but still, that is a lot of material for one teacher. So I have plans to start helping out more over there. Also my community is still trying to figure out a potable water project. That battle is ongoing.  Hopefully something can be done. 

One of cramps this is putting on my life is my very limited access to Dr Pepper just got even more limited. (And, clearly, this is the most important thing to take away from this post.) On a lucky trip to the capital, I will be able to find Dr Pepper. But now I have had that chance snatched out of my hands. I kind of feel like Gollum in Lord of the Rings. You know, when he realizes that he lost The Ring to Bilbo. He freaks out. Now I probably would not kill for Dr Pepper, but I totally relate to Gollum right now. One soda to rule them all.

Many of my friends are leaving with the interrupted service option and many are leaving as a part of PC El Salvador's downsizing efforts. My second year is pretty much guaranteed to be a 180 from my first year of service. It is yet to be determined what life will look like when the dust settles from these new rules and evaluations. But for now I am here, putting one foot in front of the other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment