Sunday, January 29, 2012

Life Is Calling... A New Path

Life Is Calling is a series of reader submissions. It is an attempt to allow people to tell their personal stories and experiences about life as a recent college graduate conquering the real world. If you would like to submit a story to this series, shoot me an e-mail or leave a comment with your e-mail. Today’s post is by Ali, she is working as an au-pair and English teacher in Paris.  


Life Is Calling...


One of my best post college experiences was being rejected from law school. For years I thought I wanted to be a big, confident, smart ass lawyer like Alex Cabot on Law & Order SVU. After a summer interning with lawyers, I quickly changed my mind and I couldn’t be more happy things worked they way they did. 

After shocking my parents and most of my friends, I somehow figured out how to move across the Atlantic to France. I've never been one to solidly believe in "things happen for a reason" but while I saw coming to Paris as an opportunity to escape "the real world" after graduating college, I didn't realize how much my future would be affected. After only a couple months in France, I decided I wanted to stay longer and applied for temporary jobs in Paris to extend my stay another year. Now, after 14 months in France, I want to stay long term. Immediately, a question comes to mind, “why?”  

Paris is home now. My parents moved from the house I grew up in outside Philadelphia last April to San Francisco and after graduating from UMass, my college family has spread in various directions around the world. While I love and miss them all, I needed a new place to call home and took comfort in Paris.  

I spent two weeks in San Francisco this past summer. It was my first trip to northern California and first time visiting my parents’ new house. But that’s exactly what it was - my parents’ house. All of my old things were in the house. I have my own room, as does my brother, but it’s not home. I don’t know many people in SF and I got lost more times than not. I fit in with the American culture too much. One of the best parts of living in a different country is standing out. While it was amazing to see my parents after many months, I was very excited to get back on the plane and head to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport. One thing I have learned about myself is that I like being different. I have become more comfortable as the foreigner than the native.

My first week back from SF, I started my job as a teaching assistant at a French high school. I introduced myself and the kids asked me questions about myself. The hardest question my students put forth to me was, "do you prefer France or the United States?" My response is still the same. The US is home. It is somewhere familiar where I will always be welcome and never an outsider. It's where my family is and where I grew up. But for the time being, I prefer France. I learn something new every day.

Although, it's not all fun and games living in the luxury land of Paris. It's an adventure with struggle, hardships, and sometimes glamour. It takes courage and will to get through each day. However, it's the daily struggles which make life interesting. Some days are easier than others. I am not French and I will never be French and I'm constantly faced with trying to break negative stereotypes of Americans. But that's what makes it exciting. While I'm not always aware of the fact, I am representing the United States every day. I am not an ambassador or foreign service agent but I am an American and when people talk to me, they take what I say and it reflects on the United States. In some ways, I think it holds higher value. I do not have a political agenda to be in France. I choose to live here to learn, explore, grow, and enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment