Sunday, July 17, 2011

I have 3 quarters, 3 dimes and 3 nickels

Well readers, lets talk about budgeting. Usually I spend about $50 a week on groceries and dog food and liquados. This is great for me because I do not get paid a lot (contrary to what some people may tell you, the life of a PC volunteer is not one of constant glamour). So after I pay rent, pay for my electricity and my weekly trips to town, I usually have just under 100 bucks to do with as I please. (Which I should clarify, 'as I please' really means buying 100lb bags of chicken feed and vaccines for my dog.)

But this month I threw caution to the wind and went to San Salvador for 3 nights. That was 3 nights in a hostel, 7 meals and, thanks to a Peace Corps crack down, taxies everywhere I went. (Apparently gang related bus crimes are on the rise in San Sal? Although I heard there is a new law that says if you look like you might be in a gang they will forcibly make you join the military. Wither or not this is actually true is unknown, but it makes me feel a little safer. Also makes me feel like I probs should not have gotten those tattoos across my face....) (Mom- might want to look up that tattoo removal place on 98 for me.) So my capital visit along with the fact that I got paid less this month due to training last month (very confusing) means that things are a little tight right now. I had to dip into my home account for the first time, which was kind of scary.

All blogs need a good cow picture.
This cow belongs to Cowboy Carlos and has
nothing to do with anything I wrote about today
On my weekly trip to town on Friday I took out 50 bucks like I usually do. I bought veggies and beans, fruits and toilet paper, M&Ms (clearly a necessity) and bags of bleach, the last (thank god) vaccine for Hoja and dog food. Now all that seems normal, except this week I started looking at the dog food bags. I usually buy 3.3 lbs of dog food a week for $5. But upon examining the bags, I found out I could buy 8.8lbs for $11 bucks. What a deal! So I bought the bigger bag and walked away feeling like I just robbed the store of 1lb of dog food. I also sent a couple of letters, which is way more expensive (and complicated, but don't get me started on the ridiculous reorganization of the postal system that needs to happen here) than should be allowed and got a package out of hawk (is that how you spell that?). But I guess I did send a letter to France so I will over look the pricing for now. Any ways to make a point out of this very long winded paragraph, I did a very good job of spending $48.80. Shocking.

Also today is the culmination of the Fiesta Patronales here in my town. It really has not been as exciting as I was led to believe it was going to be. When my host mom read me the pamphlet, it sounded like there would be activities every night and people from other towns near by were going to be bussed in and the whole town would be a buzz. Not quite the case. There were pupusas and pasteles sold every night at the church, which was amazing, but the attendance level was a little lacking. For today I heard there were going to be games and a ferris wheel and a dance. Also slightly false. There were games, like the one where you could pay a quarter, pick a slip of paper and win an animal (it was called Noah's Arc, go figure), or your basic ring toss. But sadly no ferris wheel or dance. There was a good crowd today, but they were lacking in enthusiasm. I mean you just won a chicken people,  get excited! Also there was a total lack of bolos* at this event. Not that I condone being a bolo, but they do usually liven events.  Annnd I spent two of my quarters. So now I only have 1 quarter, 3 dimes and 3 nickels. That is all.  It is totally my own fault for not budgeting better (and deciding now was a good time to buy bigger bags of dog food).
Guarding the house. 

I know August will be a better budget month. Firstly I know this because I will be getting paid the normal amount. Secondly my parents are coming to town (!), so hopefully they budgeted correctly to supply me in pupusas and liquados all week. (I have very expensive tastes.) Thirdly I now know that I do not actually like taking money out of my 'vacation fund'.

Also I redesigned the blog again. The other way was too complicated for my slow internet to handle, and lets be real here, it's really all about what is convenient for me.  KISS

One last thing. As I have been doing research on grants and other free money opportunities for the water filters I would like to get the members of my town, I have come across the Rotary Club. They apparently give out bundles of money to do gooders all over the world, but in order to apply for this, you need to know someone or be in contact with a Rotary club. I am not, and would like that to change. So I am appealing to my readers to see if any of you have any connections. (I know you do, so do not try to get out of this.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or you could just make the donation your self and save me the trouble of filling out all of the paperwork. Just a thought.

Oh! And Happy Birthday Daddy! You are the best! I miss you and cannot wait to see you in 2 weeks!!


* A bolo is a drunk person. Usually they are habitually drunk, but this is not necessary to earn this title. This is also your word of the day.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I know you can make that change last. I'm glad you went to the fiesta tonight. We will be there soon and will treat for everything!! Miss you and love you lots.
    3Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. First world problem is posting a comment on this blog on my iPhone. 

    1. I can't believe your budget is $50 - makes sense but crazy. I'd be tapping into my home acct for luxurious items. Does amazon ship there?

    2. Let's send a Poland spring truck down there with some fresh h2o. 

    3. You should start tweeting again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually thought about starting to tweet again the other day, but I tried to log on, and I could not remember any of my info. Also it would work way better if I had an Iphone or something.

    ReplyDelete