Monday, October 17, 2011

How To Make A Perfectly Sane Person Go Crazy

Tomorrow is day 7 of Peace Corps activated standfast. I might loose my mind. Standfast means that, because of some type of threat, volunteers are not allowed to leave their sites. We have been having crazy amounts of rain this past week. More than 30 people in El Salvador have been killed, and over 20,000 people are displaced and living in shelters due to the heavy rain.

Things are not good. But there are only so many times I can watch While You Were Sleeping (the only dvd that works in my dvd drive any more) without going insane. I mean it is a fantastic movie, and Sandra Bullock is great, but lets get real. Also my iTunes is being bunk and won't let me download anything. Que triste, no? And the rain does not make it conducive for meandering around my community looking for amusement. Very muddy. So I am stuck in my house, watching Sandra Bullock pretend to be the fiance of someone she has never met, who is in a coma, whilst falling in love with coma guy's brother. (Who thinks this stuff up?) Or I am reading. I am definitely not being productive or studying for the GRE. Nope, none of that tomfoolery here.

We got an e-mail from our security department telling us that we will not be able to travel to Nicaragua until early December because they are holding their elections this November. This really throws off all of my plans. I was so looking forward to an early November, political rally themed trip to Nicaragua. Damn. Peace Corps Nicaragua is going to be on a political themed standfast from October 26- November 12. People, that is over two weeks that they will not be allowed to leave their sites... for any reason! (Well except a real emergency.) At least they have some warning, so they can stock up on movies and good snacks.

I have been at this for a week, and my one movie and lack of any good snacks is really starting to get to me. It is also starting to make me a little more creative. Who would have known peanut butter would be good on a tortilla? Also I am in search of stellar clothes that I can have remade down here. Have I mentioned how much I love my seamstress, Elsa? She is fantastic. I had a skirt made last week for 3 bucks! I have a few ideas for future items. I need to take pictures so I can post them here.



Today is the 7 year anniversary of my friend Laura Lynam's death. She was tragically killed in a car crash in 2004. She was 17. She was a stellar rower, great student and all around fantastic person She will always be in my thoughts and is missed by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment