Wednesday, June 22, 2011

If You Are Planning on Visiting...

Here are some essentials you should bring with you. (And you really should visit. I just know you would love it down here :) )

*Sturdy sandals (Lots of walking down here, and it is too hot for sneakers. Also we are in rainy season right now, so sandals are so much easier to wash off when covered in mud.)

*Sun screen (Now I have buckets of sunscreen, but, hey, that's mine. Bring your own!)

*A hat (Or you could just buy a cool, classic cowboy hat down here.)

*A swim suit (I will probs take you to the beach. I mean when was the last time you saw black, volcanic sand? Yeah that's what I thought.)

*DO for your BO (Translation- deodorant.) (Life can get smelly down here, I sweat more down here than I ever have in my life. Yes Umass rowers, even more than an erg workout in the Boyden cage.)

*Speaking of sweat, you should bring a sweat rag. (Gross right? No idea what I would do with out it. Bandanas work wonderfully.)

*Flip flops (For walking from my house to the bathing/ pila area/ bathroom.)

*Shorts/ short sleeves/ jeans/ maybe one sweater. (It is hot here. But chances are I will take you some place chilly. Yes those places do exist in El Salvador. Be prepared for whatever.)

*Imodium. Pepto Bismol (Not for me mind you, I have a stomach of steel. Not all are as lucky as I. You will probably get sick. Just own up to that fact and be prepared.)

*Willingness to try new things. (We are not in America. You cannot get in your car and get a Big Mac and fries when ever the mood suits you, so be open. You probably will not like everything you try, but hey how often are you in El Salvador?)


Things to NOT bring:
*Your computer (1. I have one you can use. 2. There are internet cafes. 3. It is not worth your risk.)
*Anything super valuable. ( I have not had any issues, but I have heard too many horror stories. Just play it on the safe side please.)
*Anything you will be horrified if it gets ruined. (Because, hey, we are in a developing country. Shit happens.)
*A bad attitude. (You are on vacation. Check that 'tude at the door, and come on in. We are going to have a great time :))


So as far as clothes are concerned, in the capital and at the beach you can wear whatever you want. They are used to seeing tourists and are a little more forward thinking when it comes to clothes. But when in my community or in smaller towns, it is more appropriate to reign it in and be more conservative. What does that mean? Please do not wear booty shorts and a tube top in my community. But at the beach that is totally acceptable. Skirts, t-shirts, tank tops, pants, knee length shorts, capris, ets. are all acceptable.

As soon as you have your ticket, holla atcha girl so I can pencil you in. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list. We are very excited to head your way in about a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I already have you on the books!

    ReplyDelete